Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas in Shanghai


Merry Christmas!



Edoukou and I had a wonderful first Chinese Christmas! We have two weeks off for Christmas Vacation and then another two weeks off for Chinese New Year at the end of January. At school, we had a Christmas Concert with all the preschoolers and many primary students performing songs and dances. This year's theme was Christmas Across the Continents.






Edoukou's class continent was New Zealand, so they sang a native song and Edoukou was picked as the drummer since her friend (who was the original drummer) went to Taiwan for Christmas break. My class and the other K2 class performed "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" since our continent was Australia.






Most of the staff celebrated Christmas by giving presents. I received a beautiful Pashmina scarf form my Ayi and lots of chocolates and cookies from my students. (How do they know me so well after only 4 months?!)
On Monday we took a trip outside of Shanghai to Hangzhou, which is about one hour away. It was a great trip and we learned lots about that area. About 20 people from school went.

Wednesday we went to Marks and Spencers which just opened up in Shangahi. They had lots of great winter clothes and shoes and a Santa! I really wanted to take a picture with a Santa in Shanghai.










Wednesday evening Edoukou, Margaret (our Australian friend) and I attended 9:00 pm mass at a catholic church in Shanghai, St. Peter's Church. It was a wonderful service. The church was full of Westerners and Asians. We sat next to a group of people from France. There were also Chinese, Africans, Americans and other Eupropeans. The mass was in English. I believe the priest was American and there were several other priests from China and one from Britain. The priests began the service by carrying baby Jesus around the church. Baby Jesus was a statue with flowers around him. Other than that, it was just like home. The church was huge and very European, with benches and kneelers. Edoukou wasn't quite sure when to kneel since we don't have kneelers at our church in Tacoma. The beautiful hymns were the same. They were sung by an incredible choir. We made it home by midnight, watched Alvin and the Chipmunks and went to sleep.



On Christmas day, we woke up and attacked our presents! Edoukou had a great Christmas! She received everything she wanted because 1, I am an awesome barterer and 2, because everything here is so cheap (for us)! She had new boots, Jelly Bellys, a camera pouch, and soft, warm pajamas for our freezing, cold winter evenings. I received a wonderful Coach wallet from Edoukou! I was so proud of her. She bartered her way down from 240 Yuan to 40! What a girl! She's learning fast!




After our present frenzy, we headed to our friend Beatrice's place down the road from us. We went to her house with two other Americans for a nice relaxing Christmas. We watched Santa Claus 3 and It's A Wonderful Life. One American had never seen it before! I don't know how that happened and she doesn't either, but we were happy to help her experience it for the first time.










I was happy I didn't have to make dinner! I got out of cooking Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year! I am the luckiest girl ever! I did make individual Pineapple Upside Down Cakes that were yummy!
I enjoyed not having all the hype. Even though there were many signs of Christmas around, it was nice to concentrate on the actual day and not the rushing around beforehand. We were able to focus on going to mass and being with friends. It was a wonderful Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Good bartering Edoukou!! That is awesome!! I am glad you two had a great Christmas. Ours was wonderful. We miss our cul-de-sac friends but we are glad you are having such a great time in China. Our little neighborhood is still very white and it doesn't seem like the snow will ever melt. Merry Christmas Marla and Edoukou!!

    ReplyDelete